In this time of need, there are many that are looking to serve and provide their time and resources for our community. The Katy Stake leadership will keep a running list with information for you to reference during the coming days and weeks.
Volunteer and Donations:
Mormon Helping Hands are being organized at the ward level and then stake level to assist individual home owners gut their homes once their house has drained from the flood waters. These work crews will be organized for this Saturday, Sunday and Monday (September 2-4th) as well as in the coming weeks and/or months as the needs get addressed and the flood waters leave. Strict safety guidelines will be provided with training for each crew. Projects will be announced shortly and we welcome volunteers, ages 14 and up, to help in this challenging but rewarding service.
- On Friday, 9/1, Ben Hilton will be leading a group for drywall removal out of a half dozen homes starting at 2935 Lake Drive, Katy TX 77494. We will be starting there at 9 a.m. ending around noon. What to bring (essentials):Gloves, Drywall knives or Box Cutter knives. Optional: Wheelbarrow if you have one, Pry bars if you have one, Chisel and Hammer, Bottled water or other refreshments! Book of Mormon to pass out! Questions, contact Ben Hilton, Cell 281-773-5772
- September 1-2: Here are immediate needs at Katy Christian Ministries and they will be accepting donations Friday & Saturday 9am – 5pm: powdered laundry detergent (small sizes), shampoo & conditioner, razors/shaving cream, toilet paper, dried beans, rice, ramen, mac & cheese, pasta/pasta sauce, canned meats, canned tomatoes, canned fruit. All must have expiration dates of 2018 or later.
- If you are looking for other ways to serve, this website lists many opportunities with various churches collecting, sorting, etc: katydisasterresponse.com as well as justserve.org. On there is listed many opportunities to contribute.
- If you would like to sign up to donate to clean supply kits, use this sign-up genius link: http://www.signupgenius.com/go/5080d4ca8ab23a13-cleaning
- If you have housing to share – either in the short-term or know of long-term housing for families displaced, add to this document: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSco1wzAIdxzk0pI8-saxlzE4OrJ7gC41ycItAmo7nCryG_Efw/viewform?usp=sf_link
Information for Those Who Have Been Flooded
- This link takes you to a folder with helpful tips on managing your home after a flood – it was written by a family that just experienced their home flooding in Baton Rouge last August. Also there are self-care tips for everyone to review after a disaster Hurricane Harvey Documents
- If you want to share where people can receive work crews to come help “muck and gut” their flooded home once the water recedes, call these numbers at Crisiscleanup.org. This is a centralized database that all churches use, including Mormon Helping Hands, to strategically address the needs in the community and use volunteer resources most effectively. This is a hotline available to submit work orders for specific need requests related to the damages and for cleanup efforts. There is no charge if these services. They are mobilizing thousands to come and help mucking out homes, cleaning etc. By calling the hotline number, a volunteer will take down the information you need and create a work order and then attempt to send a volunteer crew out to help. This includes removing carpet, cutting down tree limbs, etc. Obviously there’s still difficulty getting crews into the neighborhood, but this will allow us to start the rebuilding process, and they will come as they are able.