Compassionate Houston began in 2011 by developing a network of organizations and individuals interested in focusing on developing more compassion in Houston. Every year they celebrate Houston’s Compassion Week to encourage and promote greater service and increasing relationships within our city. For more information and a list of the participating churches, organizations and individuals, go to: http://compassionatehouston.org/
By participating in service projects during this week of service April 9-16th we can emulate the example of Jesus Christ and join with church members and friends in the greater Houston area to serve and strengthen our community. Listed below are the projects that the Katy Texas Stake have planned or are supporting. We invite our members and friends to participate. Please support this opportunity to serve our community and sign up you and/or your family for one or more of the events.
- Saturday, April 9th, 9am– 1pm. Don’t mess with Texas Trash-Off Katy Style! a community wide cleanup event spearheaded by TxDOT and Keep Katy Beautiful. Volunteer as an individual, family, or team. Every volunteer age 1 – 101 will need to register online no later than April 1. Family friendly. For more information and to sign up online http://cityofkaty.com/dont-mess-with-texas-trash-off-katy-style/
- Friday, April 15th afternoon and Sat Apr 16th morning – ‘If you can’t feed a hundred people, you can feed just one.’ ~Mother Theresa. Help Katy Christian Ministries as they feed many each month. Sort and organize food donations in preparation for distribution. For more information and to sign up: https://www.justserve.org/ Due to space limitations, volunteers should be age 12 and older only, and volunteers 12 – 13 years old need an adult to volunteer with them. https://www.justserve.org/project/details/?instanceId=75XZT4RF4R7G2WV7ZXV8
- Saturday April 16th, 1pm – 4 pm. Support fitness at Brookwood Community in Brookshire for a Walk and Bike Bring your bike to ride, walk with the residents or come and cheer everyone on. We will begin gathering at 1 PM, then bike, walk or cheer the participants on. A brief social will be held around 3:30 for all to enjoy. Family friendly! Sign up to volunteer, space is limited. http://www.signupgenius.com/go/20f0d4fadac22a3f85-brookwood
- Sat, April 16, Katy Stake YM/YW will host the Special Olympics Track and Field Meet at Cinco Ranch High School. Check with your ward YM/YW leaders for more details. Katy Stake YM/YW ages 14 – 18.
There are many other opportunities listed on JustServe.org including:
- BP MS 150 Bike Ride Houston to Austin April 16-17: volunteers needed along the route to support the riders. For many BPMS 150 Bike Ride opportunities and to sign up see https://www.justserve.org/
- Saturday, Apr 16, 8am- 12:30pm – Tree Planting At Paul D. Rushing Park 9114 Katy Hockley Cut off at Hwy 290. Must sign up in advance to help (please do not just show up). Call Stephen DuBois, Landscaper 713-295-8320 work, 713-459-3981 cell email@example.com. Precinct 3 is willing to open the park weekdays during the Week of Service April 11-16. Please call for an appointment if your group wishes to volunteer on a date other than Saturday. Apr 16, 8am – 12:30pm. They will accommodate volunteer’s schedules. Groups up to 50 volunteers are welcome: Families, Scouts (Eagle Scouts), and other groups. If you need more information, contact Steve & Sue Feil at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have any questions about participating in Houston’s Compassion Week, please contact Sue & Steve Feil, Katy Stake Public Affairs Community Service Specialists, at email@example.com or 281-578-5047.